Monday, 22 December 2008

Good & Evil in the Garden of (new)Eden.

The night started out much like every other night. Dzadhuk and I decided to go out looking for targets in Amarr low sec. Dzadhuk had logged off in the Amarr militia's unofficial low sec staging system, Kamela. He was still in his Pilgrim, an Amarr recon ship. I decided to change to my Rupture, a standard cruiser. There were reports of Amarr going in and out of faction complexes, and those rarely allow above cruiser class vessels, so I was hoping to get a fight by conforming to plex-able ships. 

An hour in and no targets had made themselves vulnerable. There were some small amarr gangs rolling around, but a large minmatar fleet was scaring them back to station. We decided to call it off for a couple hours and come back later when things have settled down, and the Amarr get brave again. 

This time, we decided to go full plex hunter-style. Kelemeth, another pilot of our little corporation, Dzadhuk, and I all fit out smaller ships. Kel and I were in Thrashers and Dz was flying an Interceptor. We had gotten intel that there was a group of amarr running the complexes in Oyonata in frigates. Perfect targets.

Once we had arrived one jump out of Oyo, we let Dz head in to scout. He had found there was pirates in the system as well, which put us off a bit, but we weren't ready to go home just yet. Dz scanned down a Coercer at a belt. It appeared to be a pirate, so Dz tackled it, and signaled us to come into the system. We jumped in and warped to him, to find that the pirates had ambushed us. They swarmed us in the belt. There was some confusion while calling primaries, and we killed nothing as we went down in flames. 

Dz made it out. An Interceptor is a bit more agile than a destroyer and managed to get to safety. Kel and I were not so lucky. 

Kind of a let down, as we were really out to get the Amarr, not the pirates. Again, we weren't ready to call it a night. Dz stayed in Oyonata to keep an eye on the targets while Kel and I burned back to our staging point to grab new ships. Kel hopped in a Rupture, and I decided to bring the heavy support; my Hurricane.  

We were concerned the pirates, or the Amarr targets would flee before we made it, so Kel and I hurried back to Oyonata.  We managed to make it before they left system. Dz got us a warp in on the Amarr militia pilots, who were sitting outside of a complex. As we warped to Dz, the pirates came out of warp on top of the Amarr, and they started to slug it out. Our arrival would make it a three way free-for-all of death.  Three ways are the best ways.

When we arrived, people started fleeing, know one knew who was going to shoot who, so we just tried to catch as many pilots as we could. We were thinking Arbi's. We caught and arbitrator first, which was engaging a pirate destroyer. The arbitrator melted. Next we caught a Coercer who had warped in late to the battle. With all the confusion, he had no support, so he died quickly as well. Then we managed to catch a rifter, who was orbiting me faster than my guns could track. I put the neutralizers on him to kill his cap, and thus his micro-warp drive. This enabled kel to catch him and put a web on him. 

He didn't last long, and we had our revenge. 

We stuck around system, as the remaining Amarr had not left. After a few failed attempts to catch them, we continued on our normal route through Amarr space.

Amarr seemed to be running again, so we headed back towards Kamela, where they usually run to. When we arrived at Sosala, one jump out of Kamela, there was a strange incident.

Dz had jumped in ahead of us, and warped to the Ice belt in system. It's a common place for the local pirates to ambush, and Dz was trying to set up an ambush for the ambushers. A Prophecy was there. It engaged Dz and we jumped in and warped to him. As we came out of warp I fired up my engines and orbited the Prophecy as my sensors were locking on the target. Right when we came out of warp, some war targets jumped in system, it looked like an ambush, but Dz said to forge-on, so I opened up my guns on the prophecy and then-

Right then, Out of game, I heard a thud, then I heard Sara, my girlfriend, start to whimper, sounded like she was crying, I yelled over coms that I had to go for a minute, and just dropped my head set and rushed to see if Sara was alright. 

She had slipped and fell down the stairs. It was night time here in Michigan, and the stair well was dark. She didn't see that one of my cats, Pumpkin III, was lying on one of the steps. She stepped on my cat, luckily just sliding off her fur mostly, and she slipped and fell, very very hard. 

She was taking an old mug of hot chocolate down the stairs, and it spilled. When I got there, I saw dark spatters all over the wall. I was freaking out because it looked like blood. I was frantically checking her over looking for the wound. She was in a lot of pain, so she wasn't saying much. After a few moments, she took a deep breath and told me it was hot chocolate, not blood. I asked her if she felt like she broke something. She didn't think so. After she managed to calm for a moment, she explain that she fell and hit her tail bone on the edge of a step. 

She had a hard time getting up, but she was able to do so. I helped her up and she went to the powder-room to get herself collected. She was OK, but was having a hard time moving. Going up stairs was very hard for her, but we got her up and sat down on a pillow. I brought her some Motrin and water, to hopefully take the edge off. She said she was alright, and she didn't feel sick, which is a good sign, as that usually means something is broken. We got her settled in front of the X-Box360 and playing fall-out to, hopefully, take her mind off the pain. 

I returned to Eve. I expected to find my ship blown up, and pod destroyed. However, that's not what happened. I was still in space, still in my Hurricane. I got on coms, and asked what happened. As I was AFK for the whole battle. Dz and Kel explained that we killed him, and not only killed him, but killed him horribly. I checked my Combat log discover that I received the kill mail! 

AFK Kill? Fuck. Yea. 

I can't believe it. What a weird chain of events. Turned out well. Girlfriend was ok, the cat was ok, my hurricane was ok, and the prophecy was dead.

We continued on into Kamela, to see if there was any war targets about. We docked here so that we could pass the loot from the prophecy. We decided this would be a good place to call it an evening. So when we log in, we can get a chance to gank amarr leaving their staging station. 

I didn't dock right away, since I didn't scoop the loot. As I was sitting outside, hoping for an Amarr pilot foolish enough to take a shot at me. An Amarr militia harbinger, came out of warp near me. 

I locked him, and started to approach him. I expected him to dock, I asked Dz if I should engage anyway. Dz had no idea where I was. He wasn't sure if I was still at the Jump gate to sosala, or if I was on station, but he said "go for it." The Harbinger actually opened up on me first. But only seconds before I did. The harbinger and I were slugging it out while Dz and Kel were trying to get to me. I was winning with ease. Dz and Kel were to be icing on the cake. But then, suddenly, my lock broke. My guns shut off, and I was unable to attack. I said over coms that I had been jammed and Kel, quickly looked at the model of drones the harbinger was packing. ECM Drones!? Damn! What was to be an easy fight turned into a desperate fight for survival. Unable to attack, the harbinger was breaking my tank. 

I got my lock back. But It looked like I was going down. I wasn't ready to try and run, though. My thought was to do as much damage as I could, so that when I died, Kel had a chance at not only surviving, but to finish off the harbinger.  I was just entering structure, but I managed to kill off all but a quarter of his armor. I knew it wasn't enough. With an Amor rep, he might have been able to out tank Kel's rupture when I went down. So I started over heating all my modules. I was down to half structure, but I managed to kill of his remaining armor. It was a desperate slug fest. My neuts were killing my cap, but I didn't need it any more. I just needed it to kill his. 

Down to a quarter structure. He was at 50% structure... I was at 20%... and Holding!? My neuts must have have killed his cap enough to shut down some of his guns. He was going down, and I was going down slowly. My  ship was on fire, all my modules were blinking red as we tore through his hull, and with only 18% structure left, the harbinger exploded into a delightful fireworks show.

It was an incredible fight. Full marks to my corp mates who held the warp disruptor on him when I was jammed.

This was one of the best fights I have ever been in. Fighting tooth an nail. It ties the first fight I had ever been in really. The first fight was, not surprisingly, was also with Dz and Kel. I had just joined their corp, and we went out in two ruptures while Kel was in a kestral. We engaged a pair of cruisers, one thorax, one vexor. I died, but the battle came down to Dz in a rupture vs a pilot named Travis Wells in a thorax. It ended in a similar fashion with Dz overheating his modules in a fantastic effort which ended in us winning the fight. Close fights are the best. If you're not on fire when the battle is over, than you're not living right.

Back to present times.

I docked up to repair, and we had a great laugh. We were about ready to call it a night when a Amarr target undocked from the station. I undocked behind it. Another harbinger, different pilot.

Dz and Kel were outside, and I figured once he saw three enemies, he would just dock; but he didn't. He agressed me! He should know that a hurricane is usually more than capable in a 1 v 1 battle, let alone with cruiser and interceptor support. 

He died a horrible and silly death that he didn't need to. Full marks for bringin' it, though.

We docked up, happy with our outing. Feeling we avenged our thrasher's death in bizarre, but satisfying night. 

We ended the night with 9 kills:

No comments: