Wednesday, 7 January 2009

Hokey Religions and Ancient weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at your side, kid.

I should really stop challenging people to 1v1's. It just isn't all that fun. Sure, I get to test my skills on an even playing ground. But it just doesn't have the same flavor as real PvP. Catching someone when they don't want to be caught is just a hell of a lot more fun than pre-determined battles. But on the other hand, having a 1v1 is better than having no fight at all.

Especially since the damned Amarr always run. And usually manage to escape.

So when I saw a war target rifter, and had missed the tackle on him, my only option to get him to fight was a 1v1 challenge. Normally I just get ignored. There are too many unhonorable pilots out there, me being one of them, and most people just figure it's a trap for an easy gank. However, he must have been equally bored and decided to accept. 

I have been trying to honor these recently. If I can get a reputation for being an honorable fighter, maybe more people will try to fight me. Rather than just run at the sight of me in system.

So I told Dz to stay out of it, and I took my rifter to the decided upon location.

I had lost my 400mm plate rifter to an interceptor the other night, so I was trying a different set up. I threw on 200mm plate and a small armor rep. I also squeezed on 200mm Auto cannons for the extra DPS. 

This proved to be successful against the other rifter and he went down without much of a hitch. Managed to catch his pod, surprisingly. That's my only consolation in agreed upon matches, is catching the Pod. Because odds are, they don't want to lose their pod. So they are going to try and get it out. Normally you need some luck with lag, or an interceptor to catch a pod in low sec, so I was happily surprised to catch it this time. 

After that we moved on.

Like so many other nights we found ourselves in Kamela. However, this time there weren't many Amarr there. Just two, but the they were part of a corp known for engaging at almost any odds. One of the Two was Dake Darkstalker. Perhaps the most honorable man in Eve. He'll almost accept any 1v1, and he'll honor pretty much every time. Hell, he'll even fight out numbered. He's just a guy who loves to PvP. So we knew it was a good chance to get a fight.

They were outside and toolin' around in a a couple frigs. Dake in missile fit Breacher, and Burukt was in a Kestrel. Dz was in a Catalyst fit out for extreme damage. I was trying to get position on Dake, but his breacher was faster. My Plate was slowing me down,  so he was able to maintain range, which he did a very good job of doing. Luckily the Breacher does hilariously bad DPS, so He wasn't much of a threat. 

Later his Buddy in the kestrel joined in the fight, which resulted in a spectacularly fast death to Dz's catalyst. 

This started a string of 4 kestrel losses for him. All fit pretty much the same. We killed him so fast that the kill board had thought we were double posting his losses. Dake eventually realized he wasn't going to get anything with his breacher, and decided to bring out a Thrasher, which would even it up, at least ship class wise. 

Burukt and Dake went after Dz's Catalyst, and we Primaried Dake's Thrasher. It was close, Dz was into structure, but we popped the Thrasher, and then we made short work of Burukt's kestrel.

At that point we decided it was time to move on from frigate thunderdome. 

We had a couple of other militia guys join our group, and we moved around looking targets before we found Vancorporate in a Harbinger in Kourmonen. I was in Kamela, monitoring the amarr. Vancorporate moved to the Lamaa Gate in Kourm, I warped to the Lamaa Gate in Kamela, in hopes to catch him. Our gang was slightly disorganized, so only Dz made it to Lamaa before the harbinger warped to the Kamela Gate. Vancorporate was probably trying to avoid gate camps on the kamela gate in kourm by taking the back door in through lamaa, so that's why I warped to Lamaa, rather than assuming he was going to move on to Tzvi, the other Lamaa out system.

He jumped through, easy tackle for me, and I began to work on him, Dz was the first to make it in after me, still in his Catalyst. Vancorporate put his Drones on Dz, which unfortunately managed to pop him. So I was there, alone for a few moments trying to stay alive for the rest of the gang to show up. Shortly after Dz popped though, a Gang mate in his Rifter came to my aid. Two rifters circling the Harbi, plinking away slowly at his armor. It was a roller coaster ride for me, who had received the drones after Dz bit it. They were medium drones, so they were having trouble tracking me, which meant that their DPS was low, and I was able to out rep them with my small armor repairer, but because I was trying to keep my transversal up, I had my MWD on, which meant I couldn't be constantly repping, so it was a battle of attrition, if things stayed as they were, I would eventually go down, likely before the harbinger.

However, it never came to that. The rest of our gang arrived and he melted before he could kill us tacklers. Perhaps it was lucky that my last rifter did get blown up, as the 400mm plate didn't have a repper, and would have likely died before the gang arrived. 

Dz made his way back into Lamaa to pick up another ship, and I warped off to a planet to repair. Which turned out to be a mistake as I was tackled and killed by a pirate and his buddy in a griffin. Was not super upset, but mildly annoyed since I had scooped the loot from the Harbinger kill. 

D'oh.

I went back to Osoggur to Pick up my Vagabond. While I was away, the boys managed to catch a Maller at the same place we caught the Harbinger. 

Later I scared a Zealot into our group waiting for him in Vard. Didn't managed to get in on the kill mail because I warped to the wrong gate. :blush:

The night petered out, and I came full circle with another 1v1. Against Dake, who I had just witness kill two of my militia mates in a 2v2; and then take out a third who tried to take advantage of the situation.

Dake was in a Rupture, which can be dangerous to a Vagabond if I get webbed, which I was determined to not let happened.

I got webbed.

I really need to work on my approach skills. Might be time to get on the test server. I need to slow down I think. Be a little more careful with ranges, if it means it takes me longer to kill things, so be it. At least I'll keep my ships.

This time I didn't matter much, as I was able to stay out of range long enough to keep his initial DPS low, and when he managed to get on top of me, I was able to out DPS him, and kill him before I even reached half shield. 

I was nervous because last time there was a 1v1 between me and dake, where I was in a Vaga and he was in a Rupture, I lost. Mostly because I was stupid and Bounced off the station directly into his guns. 

Anyways, The Night ended alright in the end.

Graveyard:

No comments: