Friday, 9 January 2009

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

It is only now that I am starting to see things other than white hot nerd rage. I'll explain.

Unless the amarr believe they have a sure win on their hands, they don't undock in anything larger than a Punisher. The Minmatar seem to vastly outnumber the Amarr, at least in the Warzone, so they favor quick strike ships. Namely Crusaders.

Now these piss me off to no end, which I am sure tickles the Amarr pink. 

An interceptor is silly survivable in low sec because it doesn't need to worry about being tackled. It alligns so quickly that it is near impossible to catch them with anything else but another interceptor, and even that is a stretch.

Our goal, lately, has been to make the Amarr not feel safe in their frigates and interceptors any more. We had two ideas to do this with. Get into interceptors ourselves, with the sole purpose of tackling these crusaders. 

This tactic involves some risk for the ceptor pilot, because you need to get into knife fighting range, and since you're fitting a web/scramble and speed mods, you're not going to be tanked with anything. Meaning you can't take a lot of punishment.  The hope is that you can tackle the ceptor and keep it there while a buddy in some other ship, warps to you and puts the hurt on.

The second tactic, was to get into Muninns. A Muninn is an artillery platform designed to be an anti support ship. It's bonused to range and tracking, and it's supposed to use it's high alpha to quickly dispatch smaller ships. It's very purpose seems perfect for anti ceptor work.

Ceptors have very low hit points, even when tanked, so it's not out of the question to insta-pop them. The issue is getting a lock on them, so you fit them for lock speed, agility and overwhelming alpha damage. So you can pop them, and get the hell out before something bigger comes.

We chose the Muninns because they seemed like a perfect option for popping ceptors.
 They wouldn't be used in our day today fleets, but on nights where there is no other targets outside of interceptors, they would get their chance to shine....

So we fit them out and went for a spin.  What do you know, there are interceptors about! Time to put this puppy to use! Here we go!

I just want to say one thing about our op before I get into the details:

Fuck. The Munnin. 

I have Maxed out gunnery skills and I missed a ceptor sitting at near stand still at my optimal range... WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT?


When I finally did hit him, it was with such shit alpha that I barely dented his shields.. What a piece of shit! After running around for an hour we managed to pop a total of 0 interceptors. And missed many of them. Then I missed another interceptor in the same situation. What is the point of anti support if you can't hit them? ANGER ANGER HATE HATE RAGE RAGE ASASGFASGASFGASFGASF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF BAAAAAAWWW

I was sitting outside the Kamela station, Stewing. Letting my hate fester. I even offered Dake darkstalker, a known Amarr war target, my Muninn fully fitted for the cost of the hull, and even that wasn't cheap enough, "Hell no, melt that pos down."

I wanted to eject from the muninn and watch it explode. It's the first minmatar ship that I actually hate. I have disappointing moments with other minmatar ships, but this is the first that breaks my heart. 

While sitting there, Rozikki starts throwing 'xxx' in fleet chat. Which means, "Warp to me, shits going down"  

He was at the minor plex in system, which was befuddling, because at that moment the war targets we had been chasing we undocking from the station, so what could he have tackled?

Aw hell. The pirates from huola had been sneaking in system. Dz had us warp there before we had any intel. Out numbered, and out shipped, we all died horribly, with no kills.  I was podded. Still angry over the muninn's shit performance, I was glad it died. 

I'm not blaming Dz for the loss. He made a judgement call, and it turned out to be a bad one, but that happens when you FC. You can't expect to control your outcome with 100% success in a game where random circumstances can drastically change the outcome. He was trying to save a tackled gang-mate, and he wanted us to get some PvP. 

It also didn't help that we had a WT kestrel buzzing around dancing with our ships at plexes all night, and the delay to get intel had burned us before when trying to catch him. He always got away. So rather than waste the time to get proper intel, he just had us warp, to try and nab the target there. Not knowing that it wasn't a WT kestrel, but a 'fuck off' pirate gang.

Dz popped first at the Plex, and I took over primary calling, but I think people were too busy trying to get out, fairly sure none of them did.

I had no propulsion mod, so I wasn't going anywhere. I put my guns on the Vexor that was chasing me, and I put my drones on the Interceptor that had me tackled. I figured I might be able to pop the interceptor, or at least scare him off, and then put my drones on the vexor and finish him off, and then warp to safety, but it didn't work. 

Total Party Kill.

In one small consolation. One of the Amarr warped to the plex and got killed by the pirates as well, and since it happened to be one we shot at earlier, we managed to end up on the kill mail. Hoo. Ray.

What we learned:
The Muninn is an anti-support platform, but post QR, interceptors are basically impossible to hit. Maybe I should have seen this coming and never bought it, but I just seemed so right in my head.

Graveyard:

No comments: